Types of Braces
Everyone wants a healthy smile made up of a mouthful of straight, white teeth. Here at Tribeca Dental Care, we take great pride in helping our patients upgrade their smiles every day.
For teeth straightening, the crucial question is which type of braces – Invisalign or traditional metal braces — is going to be best for me? Traditional braces are always an option, but we’ve found that many of our patients prefer Invisalign braces. Here’s a quick overview of Invisalign braces versus traditional braces.
Traditional Metal Braces
The big difference between Invisalign and traditional braces is that the latter are fixed in place. Traditional metal braces are affixed to each tooth with metal or ceramic brackets and these brackets are strung together by wires which run along the top or bottom (or both) rows of teeth. Traditional braces can only be removed or manipulated by an orthodontist and that can be a lengthy and uncomfortable process.
Invisalign braces on the other hand are comparatively simple. They are clear plastic aligner trays which are quite similar in appearance to a mouth guard. The Invisalign trays can be taken out by the wearer at any point during the day. If you are eating, you take out your Invisalign trays. If you are brushing your teeth or flossing you can take them out.
As the name implies, the clear plastic Invisalign trays are virtually invisible! Most people won’t even notice that you’re wearing them, so there will be minimal social discomfot as you will still be able to smile with confidence while your smile becomes straighter.
Lingual braces are mounted on the rear side of your teeth. (Lingual refers to the tongue – they’re also called “inside braces.”) Because of where they are located, others cannot see them. This makes them a good cosmetic option.
Most people can use Invisalign, while patients with certain bite and alignment issues can’t use lingual braces. Lingual braces can cause speaking problems, including lisping or “whistling” sounds. Many patients experience tongue soreness, problem eating and difficulty cleaning their braces.
Unlike Invisalign, some food can damage lingual braces.
Damon braces use a special slide mechanism, allowing the brackets to move with the teeth as they realign. This makes them more comfortable than traditional braces. It’s also much easier for your dentist to check up on them during appointments.
Damon braces occupy the same space in the mouth as traditional braces. They can be more subtle in appearance, but don’t provide the same aesthetic results as Invisalign. Mouth irritation is a possibility, and Damon braces tend to be more expensive than lingual ones.
Invisalign vs Braces Cost
In New York, the average cost of Invisalign usually runs between $4,000 and $8,000. Here at Tribeca Dental Care, we’ve offered prices as low as $3,499. The exact Invisalign cost depends on your needs, length of treatment and other factors. Only your dentist can tell you for sure.
Invisalign Pros and Cons
- Invisalign is more convenient than other braces, allowing you to remove them as desired;
- Invisalign is not bonded to your teeth using adhesive and wire like traditional braces;
- Invisalign’s clear plastic spacers are discreet and generally can’t be seen by other people;
- Invisalign does not work as quickly as traditional braces in most situations;
- Invisalign cannot correct the most complicated issues with teeth alignment.
Braces Pros and Cons
- Traditional braces may be less expensive for patients than Invisalign in certain cases;
- Traditional braces have a tendency to work slightly faster than Invisalign in most cases;
- Traditional braces are more appropriate than Invisalign for the most complex problems;
- Even the most sophisticated conventional braces are not as discreet as Invisalign;
- Eating, athletics and accidents could damage braces, requiring immediate care.
Tribeca Dental Care
For Invisalign braces from a New York dental office you can trust, contract Tribeca Dental Care. We are proud to be one of New York’s foremost Invisalign dentists – we’ve helped hundreds of patients of all ages get a great smile with Invisalign!