Periodontal disease is a serious dental risk that can damage gums and even affect the jaw bone in severe cases. It’s important to get a periodontal exam at least once per year at a dentist in NYC. Find the best dentist New York City has to offer by visiting Tribeca Dental. We are proud to employ a knowledgeable staff and use innovative equipment to help you improve your appearance and health. To start, we can administer a Comprehensive Periodontal Evaluation (CPE) to get a complete understanding of your oral health.
What is a Periodontal Evaluation?
A periodontal exam helps us achieve a holistic understanding of how healthy your mouth is. The examination includes a visual inspection with magnifying glasses and other dentistry tools, as well as radiographs (x-rays). We’ll examine multiple things at once, including the following:
- Your gums
- Your teeth
- Plaque buildup
- Your bite (where your teeth contact each other)
- The overall bone structure of your jaw
- Additional risk factors
When a dentist in New York City examines these factors, they will have a solid understanding of your overall dental health. The radiographs are especially useful because they allow us to see things that aren’t visible to the naked eye or even through magnification. For example, we’ll be able to get a perfect view of your tooth positioning and see where your roots are. This helps us stay on top of your bite and the general shape of your smile.
We’ll also be able to detect problems like gum or jaw decay, bone loss, cysts, and tumors before they get especially severe. We examine the surface of your teeth and also look beneath the surface to see what kinds of issues may be lurking. From there, we can make sure your smile stays healthy and attractive. Regular periodontal exams and cleaning can help.
Periodontal Cleaning Appointment
After your examination, we will perform a thorough cleaning. The appointment starts with the examination, so we know exactly what to focus on. This allows us to tailor the rest of the appointment to your specific needs. The following steps are some of the most critical parts of a professional periodontal cleaning:
- Plaque Removal – Plaque is hard to see until the buildup becomes significant, but it sticks to your teeth and can have severe consequences for your mouth. Plaque contains bacteria that are toxic to your gums, which leads to inflammation and gum disease. Removing the plaque can help prevent gum disease in the long run.
- Tartar Removal – Tartar is also known as calculus, and this is hardened plaque that has been on the tooth so long it’s become attached to the surface. Some estimates suggest that plaque can turn into tartar in as little as 24 hours, which is part of the reason good brushing habits are so important. Tartar can form either above or below the gum line, and your toothbrush may not be able to get it off. Luckily, we can remove it with our specialized dental equipment. This will help your teeth look and feel better, and will help you avoid serious dental problems.
- Teeth Polishing – After we use our dental equipment to remove plaque and tartar, we return to your teeth with polishing equipment to obliterate any remaining traces of plaque. This process also helps remove stains that have built up on the surfaces of your teeth over the years. A thorough polishing enables you to walk out of our office with a cleaner, whiter smile.
- Maintain Existing Dental Work – If you’ve previously had any restorations like fillings, crowns, or bridges, we’ll make sure that the work is holding up. These restorations have become a critical part of your oral health, and we examine them just as carefully as we do your teeth.
- Oral Cancer Screening – Part of our thorough process is to look for signs of cancer or other serious diseases while we’re doing our cleaning. We’ll check out your gums, tongue, throat, lips, teeth, face, neck, and the surrounding tissues while we clean your mouth. This visual inspection helps us identify early warning signs of oral cancer in some patients.
Find a Dentist in NYC
We at Tribeca Dental Care are passionate about protecting your oral health. Dental problems can suck a lot of enjoyment out of life, so we pride ourselves on providing state of the art periodontal care that can keep your mouth healthy well into old age. We want everyone to have access to proper dental care, so we offer flexible payment options including financing. We also accept a wide variety of insurance plans, so don’t hesitate to contact us today and set up your appointment.